RVIA's roots extend back to August 30, 1963 when the American Institute of Travel Trailer and Camper Manufacturers (AITTCM) was incorporated in the state of Indiana as a not-for-profit corporation under the IRS code section 501(c)(6) rules. The original address of the organization was 3738 West Indiana Street, Indianapolis, Indiana.
On July 8, 1968 the organization officially adopted the name the Recreational Vehicle Institute, Inc. (RVI) retaining its original charter. Offices were moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan and a few years later to Des Plaines, Illinois.
The last name change occurred on October 2, 1974 when the organization became known as the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, Inc. (RVIA) combining elements of RVI and the Travel Coach Association (TCA) of Riverside, California. The National Headquarters was moved to Chantilly, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, D.C. The Association moved to 1896 Preston White Drive, Reston, Virginia in January, 1985 where it is today.